Wouldn’t it be nice not to worry about unsightly hair on your face or body? Now you can, with laser hair removal! After a dozen quick sessions (or even fewer), you could enjoy the look and feel of smooth, hairless skin on your legs, arms, face, and bikini area.
Laser hair removal has come a long way since it was commercialized in the early 90s. Advances in technology and techniques have made the procedure practically pain-free and more efficient than ever before. Even so, knowing a few things about laser hair removal is helpful before you go. This will ensure you have the most comfortable experience and most effective results.
Let’s learn more about laser hair removal and where you can go in Dallas, TX, for safe and effective treatment.
How It Works
Hair grows on your body in stages. Hair follicles in the growth stage will keep pushing out hair until the hair is cut or at the end of its natural lifespan, which can last for years. The hair follicles on your head, arms, legs, and pubic region – indeed, all over your body – are in different stages of growth at any moment in time.
Laser hair removal targets the root of your hair in a hair follicle. Laser light is directed at the hair root, where it is absorbed and converted to heat, damaging the follicle. This prevents some or all future hair growth in a specific follicle.
What to Expect
Multiple laser hair removal sessions are required to target all follicles in an area while each is in its growth stage. Your sessions are usually scheduled a month apart to accommodate the various stages of hair growth.
Dead hairs will begin to shed, typically within days of your treatment – for up to a month afterward. In most cases, you will notice the effects of a laser hair removal session within 3-4 weeks.
Depending on the area treated, there may be some minor discomfort during a laser hair removal session. However, it should not be painful. Laser hair removal is nowhere near as uncomfortable as waxing, for example. A topical ointment or cream may be used before (to numb) and after (to soothe) a treatment session.
Laser hair removal works on women of all skin tones.
How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
Here are some of the most important things to know before preparing for a laser hair removal treatment session:
- Shave 24 hours ahead of your appointment time. This cuts the hair down to skin level while preserving the hair root inside the follicle, which can then be targeted during your laser hair removal session. Shaving can also lessen any potential discomfort because less hair will be subject to the heat of the laser light. Don’t shave just before the treatment session, as this may cause inflammation and increase the risk of sensitivity in the area.
- Don’t tweeze, wax, or use chemical hair remover in the area to be treated for at least a few weeks before you begin laser hair removal. These methods remove the hair root, so there will be nothing to target during your laser hair removal session. Avoiding these methods between hair removal treatments is important – shaving is your best bet.
- Wear clothing that is comfortable and won’t irritate sensitive skin.
- Nothing on the skin. Make sure the area to be treated is free of makeup, lotion, or other topically applied products. You’ll especially want to avoid retinol or glycolic acid solutions that can irritate the skin.
- Avoid sun exposure for weeks before hair removal, during, and after treatment. Don’t use any fake tanning products in the area to be treated for the same period.
What to Do After Laser Hair Removal
Self-care after a laser hair removal treatment can be just as important as preparing for it. Here’s what you need to know:
- Stay out of the sun. Sun-damaged skin can be more sensitive to laser light and make the treatment session painful. Any blistering or peeling from sunburn can cause you to miss or extend your hair removal treatment
- Avoid chemicals on the treated area for at least 24 hours after laser hair removal. This includes cosmetics, moisturizers, deodorants, perfumes, and more. Keep the skin clean and dry after treatment for at least a day.
- Return for scheduled treatment sessions. Missing a treatment means missing a stage of hair growth, which will extend your treatment or may leave hair in the target area.
Laser Hair Removal in Dallas, TX
Laser hair removal is fast, efficient, and surprisingly affordable. It’s no wonder students, and anyone on a budget are opting for these treatments. At Privé Aesthetics in Dallas, Texas, we proudly serve Southern Methodist University students at our clinic right across the street from the SMU campus!
Discover how easy laser hair removal can be by calling Privé Aesthetics in Dallas, Texas, at (817) 739-6640 or request an appointment now.